Northamptonshire Non-Emergency Patient Transport Service
East Midlands Ambulance Service (EMAS) provide non-emergency patient transport service to residents in Northamptonshire who require assistance in getting to and from hospital.
Not all patients are eligible for ambulance transport and will be assessed before a booking will be taken, to avoid disappointment all patients should make their own way to their appointment/s using friends, family, community and volunteer services in the first instance.
Patient transport services are for individuals who have a medical condition that prevents them from getting to their appointment. EMAS determine eligibility for access to this service via a standardised assessment process during the booking process.
Whilst some Covid restrictions have lifted we are still required to ensure physical distancing which significantly reduces capacity in the vehicles and limits transport available for those most in need.
Non-emergency patient transport is for patients who:
- Require assistance from skilled ambulance staff e.g. require access to oxygen whilst travelling
- Have a medical condition that would prevent them from travelling to hospital by any other means
- Have a medical condition that might put them at risk from harm if they were to travel independently
- Have treatment with side effects that require support from skilled ambulance staff
- Are registered with a Northamptonshire GP
What do you have to do?
To book transport up at least 72 hours in advance of your appointment date, call the EMAS booking line on 0300 300 3434. The EMAS booking line is open between 8am and 8pm, seven days a week. If you are hard of hearing, deaf or speech impaired, you can contact the service by dialling 18001, followed by the full phone number. Users must have access to the Next Generation Text Service.
Help EMAS to help you
- Cancel transport if no longer required by calling 0300 300 3434
- Advise the booking team of any special requirements
- Be ready to leave when the transport team arrives
- Have your medication and documentation with you
- Take your keys and some money
- Expect to share transport with others
- Respect the no-smoking policy in all vehicles
- Respect EMAS’ drivers – there is a zero-tolerance policy towards abuse
- Follow the Patient Transport Charter