Supporting refugees in the county

If you are feeling unwell there are a range of local NHS services to choose from who can help - you don't always need to see a doctor or go to a hospital. Health treatment under the NHS is free for people entering the UK as a refugee, so please don't delay if you need help for an illness or injury.

NHS 111
If you have an urgent but not-life-threatening health need or are not sure which NHS service you need, 111 can help you. NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day every day of the year and they can tell you where to get help for your symptoms. If you need to speak with a healthcare professional like a doctor or nurse, they will ask them to call you and can also make an appointment for you at a local health service which can treat you. All you need to do is answer a few questions.

Easiest way to use NHS 111 is by visiting If you are contacting about a child under 5 years old please call 111 (it won't cost you any money to call this number). You can ask for an interpreter in your language by saying "interpreter please." Read more about the NHS 111 service on the NHS 111 page on this website.

GP surgeries (doctors and nurses)
GP surgeries can treat many condition, give health advice and prescribe medicines. They can also refer you to other NHS services and may be your first point of contact for many physical and mental health concerns.The GP practice is also responsible for coordinating and managing your long term healthcare and they can refer you if you need more specialised hospital services. It is best to register with a GP practice to meet your ongoing health needs.

Anyone in England can register with a GP surgery. It's free to register. If you have proof of ID, such as a passport or driving license and can confirm the address that you are temporarily residing, please provide this to the surgery that you choose to register with.  However, these items are not a requirement for registration, and you should not be refused registration without these documents.

Find a GP - NHS (

You can:

  • check the GP surgery website to see if you can register online
  • call or email the GP surgery and ask to be registered as a patient

You can download a GMS1 registration form on GOV.UK if you're asked to complete one.

If you need help registering or filling in forms call the GP surgery and let them know. You could also ask for help from.

GP surgeries are usually open Monday to Friday from 8am until 6.30pm. If you need a doctor over the weekend or during the evenings, please contact NHS 111.

If you are having difficulty registering with a GP you can:

Your local pharmacy team are qualified healthcare professionals with the knowledge and skills to help with many health concerns. Pharmacists can give clinical advice, right there and then, and help you choose the most appropriate treatment. If your symptoms suggest it’s more serious, they’ll ensure you get the care you need.

Your GP (doctor) or nurse will not generally give you a prescription for medicines used to treat certain minor illnesses, if they are readily available from the pharmacy or supermarket, even if you qualify for free prescriptions. Over the counter medicines such as paracetamol, ibuprofen, antihistamine are available to buy in a pharmacy or supermarket in your local community. You can also buy first aid supplies from your local pharmacy.

The UK system means that there are more medicines available directly from the pharmacy than many other countries.  These are some of the conditions it applies to

Acute sore throat


Coughs, colds and nasal congestion

Cradle cap



Ear wax

Excessive sweating

Head lice

Indigestion and heartburn 

Infant colic

Infrequent cold sore of the lip

Infrequent constipation 

Infrequent migraine

Insect bites and stings

Mild acne

Mild burns/scolds

Mild cystitis

Mild dry skin

Mild to moderate hay fever

Minor pain, discomfort and fever (eg aches and sprains, headache, period pain and back pain) 

Mouth ulcers

Nappy rash

Oral thrush

Ringworm/athletes foot


Warts and verruca

Dry eyes/sore tired eyes


Vitamin supplements

Sun burn


Travel sickness



What if my symptoms don't improve?
Your local pharmacy team can tell you how long to expect the symptoms of your condition to last. If they haven’t improved after this time or you start to feel a lot worse, you should: Go back to the pharmacy for further advice, contact your local GP or call NHS 111. More information about pharmacies and how to find your nearest pharmacy is available on the pharmacy page

Walk in centres
Walk in centres where you can get fast, convenient NHS treatment for minor injuries like cuts, sprains, strains, minor burns and wounds, and small fractures. Unlike GP practices you don't need to make an appointment. Just walk in and wait.

The nearest walk-in centre is:
Corby Urgent Care Centre
Willowbrook Health Complex
Cottingham Road
NN17 2UW

Open 8am-8pm, everyday of the year.

Telephone: 01536 202121

More information about walk-in services is available on the walk in centre page


Accident & Emergency (local hospital)
Accident and Emergency is located in local hospitals - in Northamptonshire our local hospitals are Northampton General Hospital and Kettering General Hospital and sometimes known as A&E or ED and provides emergency care and treatment for patients who have a critical or life-threatening situation. This could be:

  • unconsciousness
  • a suspected stroke
  • heavy blood loss
  • a deep wound such as a stab wound
  • a suspected heart attack
  • difficulty in breathing
  • severe burns

Accident and Emergency departments are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. ou can access these services directly and without an appointment. More information about Accident and Emergency is available on the Accident and Emergency page   

Call 999 if someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk. The telephone operator will advise you what to do or where to go next. An ambulance may be sent to provide treatment or transport the patient to hospital. 

Mental Health services
Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust is the county’s provider of NHS mental health services. If you are feeling like you’re experiencing a mental heath crisis or need mental health support, there are services that are waiting to work with you.

If you feel like you are in immediate danger to yourself or others, please call 999. The 24-hour mental health number -is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to provide confidential mental health support and advice. Call 0800 448 0828 to speak to a member of the team, any time of the day.

Crisis cafes - run by local Mind and NHFT available to provide support to anyone 18 or over who are finding themselves in a crisis or need support with their mental health. Simply drop in to receive support. For all locations, dates and times please visit:

IAPT Talking Therapies offer support to those over the age of 17 and a half who experience common mental health problems which impact on their wellbeing, such as low mood, OCD, depression and anxiety. Take the first step and complete the online form at:

Contact the Samaritans - If you are worried that you are at risk of suicide you can also contact the Samaritans by visiting their website or call 116 123 for free.

CAMHS Live - Young people 13 years and older and parents or carers wanting advice and information about emotional wellbeing and mental health services can speak to mental health colleagues to find out more visit

Out of hours social services support - The 'Out of Hours' team at Northamptonshire County Council (NCC) are here to help. Please phone 01604 626938 to access this service.

To find out more visit


Dentists look after your teeth and oral health can help if you have pain or need treatment.

Where to find a local dentist is here; Find a dentist - NHS (

There is no need to register with a dentist in the same way as with a GP because you are not bound to a specific area .

Dental surgeries will not always have the capacity to take on new NHS patients. You may have to join a waiting list, look for a different dentist who is taking on new NHS patients, or be seen privately where you will need to pay.

Once you find a dental surgery, you may have to fill in a registration form at your first visit, which is just to add you to their patient database. But that does not mean you have guaranteed access to an NHS dental appointment in the future.


Problems finding an NHS dentist
If after contacting several dental surgeries you still cannot find a dentist accepting NHS patients, call NHS England's Customer Contact Centre on 0300 311 2233.

Your local Healthwatch may be able to give you information about services in your area or raise a concern if you have one.

Find your local Healthwatch

Dental emergency and out-of-hours care
If you think you need urgent care or are in pain, contact your usual dentist as some surgeries offer emergency dental slots and will provide care if clinically necessary.

You can also contact NHS 111, who can put you in touch with an urgent dental service.

Do not contact a GP, as they will not be able to offer urgent or emergency dental care.

Only visit A&E in serious circumstances, such as:

  • severe pain
  • heavy bleeding
  • injuries to the face, mouth or teeth

If you're not sure whether you should go to A&E, contact NHS 111, who will be able to advise you.

How much will I be charged?
The emergency dentist will only deal with the problem at hand and provide clinically necessary treatment to stop any pain.

An urgent dental treatment will always be charged at £23.80.

Find out more about NHS dental charges

If you're entitled to free NHS dental care, you should be able to claim back the cost of any treatment. Make sure you keep all receipts.

Find out more about help with dental costs

If you're asked to come back for further treatment, this will be considered a separate course of non-urgent treatment. You'll have to pay the relevant charge for the new course of treatment.

Ask the dentist what the treatment will cost or whether you can have a treatment plan.


Ophthalmology (Opticians)
An optician looks after your eyes and will carry out an eye test and prescribe glasses or contact lenses, if you or your family need them.

Where to find a local opticians is here ;  Find an optician - NHS (

When you visit an optician for an eye test, you'll be examined by an ophthalmic practitioner or optometrist who is trained to recognise abnormalities and conditions, such as cataracts or glaucoma.

Ophthalmic practitioners prescribe and fit glasses and contact lenses. If necessary, they'll refer you to a GP or a hospital eye clinic for further investigations. Sometimes, you'll be referred to a specialist optometrist for a referral refinement (reassessment).

How often should I have an eye test?
Your eyes rarely hurt when something is wrong with them, so having regular eye tests is important to help detect potentially harmful conditions.

The NHS recommends that you should have your eyes tested every 2 years (more often if advised by your ophthalmic practitioner or optometrist).

An NHS sight test is free of charge if you're in one of the eligible groups and the test is considered clinically necessary. If the ophthalmic practitioner cannot see a clinical need, you'll have to pay for the test privately.

Find out more about free NHS eye tests and optical vouchers.

What happens after an eye test?
Following an eye test your ophthalmic practitioner is legally required to give you your optical prescription or a statement to say you've been referred for further tests.

An NHS optical voucher will also be issued immediately if you can prove you're entitled to one. There are currently 10 voucher values for glasses and lenses. The values depend on the strength of your prescription. The stronger your prescription, the higher the value of your voucher.

You should never feel obliged to buy glasses or redeem an optical voucher from the place where you had your eye test. Shop around for the best value and only buy glasses or contact lenses when you're happy with the product and cost


Sexual health services
We are a confidential healthcare service – which means we do not routinely share information with any other health care professionals or family members. We are based in Northampton and Kettering.

We can help with:

  • Pregnancy testing and advice
  • Emergency contraception
  • Sexual health testing
  • Sexual health advice
  • Contraception including condoms
  • HIV testing
  • HIV treatment
  • PEP and PrEP
  • Advice following sexual assault
  • HIV care
  • Pregnancy testing
  • Termination of pregnancy discussion and referral

If you are over 19 please phone us on 01536 410647 (Kettering) or 0300 027 0110 (Northampton) for all enquiries. Or if you are under 19, text 07312 263114 for a confidential chat about your sexual health. All services and treatments are free.

For more details about this service:


Services for children and young people aged 0-19 years old
For babies and children up to the age of 19, Health Visitors (children aged 0-5) and School Nurses can help with feeding, eating, sleeping, toileting, parenting, managing minor illnesses, children’s behaviour and wellbeing, and sexual health issues for young people. When new families move into Northamptonshire a Health Visitor or School Nurse will meet you to assess your children’s health needs and make sure you have all the help and information you need. If your child needs other services such as speech and language therapy, physiotherapy, help with their mental health, we will sign post or refer you to those other services.

Contact us:

  • By phone on 0800 170 7055 (Option 4, Mon - Fri 8am-5pm)
  • Weekend Health Visitor helpline 07598 235094 Saturday and Sunday 8.30-12.30
  • For infant feeding support call 077951 10109 (Mon - Fri 9am - 3pm)
  • ChatHealth: text a school nurse for friendly, helpful advice. This service is designed for 11-19 year olds, and parents of children aged 5-19, 07507 329 600 (Mon-Fri 9am-4pm)
  • Health visitors run by local health visitors to bring you the very latest advice and information

To find out more about our services, and to find helpful information, visit our website and Family Resource Hub and


Maternity Services
If you are pregnant you will need to access maternity care, this will be at either Northampton General Hospital or Kettering General Hospital. The links below give you all the details you need to access these services.

Maternity Referral - Welcome (
Telephone - 01604 545430

Wellingborough and East Northants patients should call 0300 027 2255
Corby 01536 494101
Kettering 01536 492889


More services
Further services and more information on health and care services available in Northamptonshire can be found on the online 'My Health and Care Directory'

Specialist health services are also free for:

  • Refugees
  • Asylum seekers
  • Victims or suspected victims of Modern Slavery dependant

People whose application for asylum has been rejected may still have access to free NHS services.

Check if you are entitled to free health care.

Prescription medicines, dental and eye care are normally not free in England but asylum seekers who are financially supported by the Home Office will be given an HC2 certificate to get full help with these health costs. Anyone can apply for this support, see further advice on how to apply.

Last updated: 31/03/2022